Saturday, May 3, 2008

Welcome.

If you found me here, then you've probably already realized that this is a worthless blog. I don't call it inane for nothing. Having said that, please stick around, even if you don't want to. It's even better that way.

All this is going to be is some relatively short (and always inane ;-)) reviews of some movies I come across. I love movies, and of course, there's nothing better than to talk about them. For some reference, here are my current 10 favorites:

2001: A Space Odyssey
Barry Lyndon
The Bicycle Thief
Children of Paradise
Citizen Kane
City Lights
Days of Heaven
Metropolis
Sansho the Bailiff
Vertigo

My top 3 directors, and my top 3 from them:
1. Stanley Kubrick (2001, Barry Lyndon, The Shining,...)
2. Orson Welles (Citizen Kane, Chimes at Midnight, F for Fake,...)
3. Werner Herzog (Lessons of Darkness, Encounters at the End of the World, Even Dwarfs Started Small,...)

So yeah. Those are the general sort of movies I like. Mostly, the classics do it for me, but modern movies occasionally stun me (a la Assassination of Jesse James), but admittedly, I haven't seen as many modern movies as I really should have. As such, my comparisons are far from fair.

Eh, what the hell. I'll also do a top 5 from each decade.

1920s
Greed
Metropolis
Neighbors
Our Hospitality
Sunrise

1930s
City Lights
A Day at the Races
Les Miserables ['34]
Modern Times
The Rules of the Game

1940s
The Bicycle Thief
Children of Paradise
Citizen Kane
Notorious
The Third Man

1950s
Elevator to the Gallows
Sansho the Bailiff
Sunset Boulevard
Vertigo
Stagecoach

1960s
2001: A Space Odyssey
Blowup
Lawrence of Arabia
Psycho
The Wild Bunch

1970s
Aguirre: The Wrath of God
Barry Lyndon
Days of Heaven
Even Dwarfs Started Small
F for Fake

1980s
Blade Runner
Brazil
Full Metal Jacket
Reds
The Shining

1990s
Eyes Wide Shut
La Haine
Lessons of Darkness
Little Dieter Needs to Fly
Satantango [admittedly, I only saw a quarter of it]

2000s
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Elephant
Encounters at the End of the World
The Heart of the World
Werckmeister Harmonies

So if you find that you like similar movies to me, you might want to stick around. Consider it.



There, you made it. My first inane and rambling post. Wasn't that satisfying?

2 comments:

Robert said...

I'll be linking this to my blog. Blogging can be fun as long as you dont let it dominate too much of your time ('tis what happened with my first try).

But the blogosphere is always want for people with intriguing tastes and voices so I hope you keep with it.

Oh and if you ever get to see the full Satantango, it'll be the best movie-watching experience of your life.

aeuzop said...

Oh, I don't doubt it.

Just realized I've completely forgotten about this blog...I'll have to get back to it.